Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fire, Fire!



O.K., O.K, I realize that the (brush) fire near Sherwin Lake was not a big fire.  But, there sure was a lot of smoke!  Five days into the fire I baked a double batch of chocolate chip cookies and took them over to the firemen in recycled oatmeal boxes.  There were 4 fields of tents at the Mammoth High School.  I think S. Cal firemen chose to come up just to have a beautiful vacation in the mountains.  What an idyllic setting.

I was up in Mammoth with my two sorority sisters, Kathy and Karen, and we hiked up to Mammoth Rock.  On the way there, we stopped a lot to look at the local flora.  Both of my friends are very knowledgeable about gardening and about plant identification and have exquisite gardens.  Kathy is a certified  Master Gardener and knows a lot about plant taxonomy.  It was very educational for me. Consequently, I bought a more serious book on Wildflowers.  Look for it in Mammoth.

Anyways, we were sitting below Mammoth Rock enjoying our healthy lunch and the beautiful view.  We noticed a cloud of brown smoke growing to the East.  After we made our way back down, we went over to the meadow close to the Real Estate office of Snowcreek.  From there you got a good view.  People were also lining Old Mammoth Road as we drove into town to eat at Roberto's. We got a table with a view of the smoke and enjoyed dinner and a pitcher of Margarita's.

What a great weekend with my friends.  Karen stayed until Wednesday because I had gotten really sick from taking my vitamins on an empty stomach.  Lesson learned, I hope.  We had great talks, laughs, tears and supportive words for each other.  What a time for renewal.  We committed to healthy eating, exercise and personal growth. We vow to get together 1-2 times a year from now on.  Long live the "Three Musketeers!"  I will post more pix when I get them emailed to me.

No comments: