Saturday, August 8, 2009

The "Summit" of my experiences





Well everyone, Tuesday, August 4, 2009, was my greatest adventure day of all time. It was even better than the incredibly long zip line rides and 50 foot bungee leap from the platform in Costa Rica’s Monteverde Rain Forest or the skydiving from 12,000 feet in New Zealand.

At 3:15 a.m. I started off with my teammates to climb Mt. Whitney, the highest mountain peak in the contiguous United States. It is 14, 497 feet tall, with a trek of 22 miles roundtrip, and an elevation gain of over 6,000 feet.

The weather was perfect: not too cool (mid 30s), not too warm (up to low 50s), a little windy, but with brilliant blue skies, white fluffy clouds and lots of sun.

Having read a lot about Whitney, I had become pretty intimidated over the two weeks prior to the climb. I was freaked out about the handrail at the switchbacks, falling off a cliff, getting really sick from the altitude, being struck dead by lightning, being dehydrated, not having enough strength in my quads or hamstrings to continue, holding back the rest of my team, and other imagined perils, ad nauseum.

Then, I received the most awesome email from my stepson Matt (Rolling Thunder), teammate #1 and our Team Captain. In it, he told me that I had trained hard, been an integral part of the team, had strengthened myself physically and mentally, and could do it. He told me it wasn’t about the summit (the goal) as much as it was about the journey. He was right. The best part was the training with family and friends, the pushing myself past challenges I never thought I could overcome, the research reading all about Whitney and what others had accomplished, the mental and physical discipline I had been practicing to do all of the hikes I did.

My favorite week was the one when I logged 58.5 miles. I would be walking along (a lot by myself) and just exclaim, “Wow, I just love to hike, to keep my legs moving hour after hour, to appreciate the beauty of nature and the friendliness of other hikers.” Matt was right about that journey.

Teammate #2, Garrett (Billy Goat), my older stepson, was an inspiration. Having lost over 60 pounds this last year through the discipline of daily exercise and healthy eating, he decided to do the hike, even though he is not that fond of hiking. He chose not to get hiking boots (loves his Nikes) or do as many training hikes as the rest of us, but he was “bookin’ it” up the mountain with hiking socks on his hands (for gloves) and a smile on his face. His motto was, “One and done.” But, I bet he hikes it again with Kevin, Zach and Tasha someday.

Tasha, my daughter-in-law, Teammate #3 was the energizer bunny. She did not really decide on a hiking name, Just Tasha. So I will now call her JT. She never complains, keeps moving, works in her training when she is not at her job, caring for the boys, fixing meals, carpooling or picking up toys. I do not know how she does it, but she is a fabulous mom and hiker. She kept telling me I was doing great throughout the climb and just when I needed to hear it.

Teammate #4 was Little Black Bear, Tina, Tasha’s sister-in-law. I barely knew her but got to know her quite well on the hike. She lives in Northern California and did not have the training advantage of all our taller mountains here in the South. But, you could tell that she put in her time and training, doing a couple of 20-mile hikes on her own. She even worked in a river raft trip on the Tuolomne River, 1-2 weeks before the climb. She is a sweetheart and a long distance BFF for sure. We talked incessantly up the 97 switchbacks and I barely noticed them until half way into that section.

And, now, my peppy little trekker, Teammate #5 was Nicole or White Lightning. Boy, can she move! She is quite the hiker, bounding up the switchbacks, be it Mt. Baldy or the Whitney trail. She never seemed to tire or lose heart. She told me how much she loved the spirituality of being out in nature, the energy boost of hearing the rushing sounds of the waterfalls, the brilliance of the sunrise, the lessening of the physical challenge of hiking if you smile while you are doing it.

So, my dear teammates, I could not have done it without you. Matt, you carried my backpack as I approached the Whitney summit and descended it. You organized a canopy of hiking poles by our teammates for me to walk through, all of you cheering and allowing me to be the first to summit. With exquisite joy and tears, I vowed never to forget that moment with you guys and your generous and unselfish show of love and support. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

I want to specially acknowledge Bob for his support, encouragement, patience and selflessness during my training. He and Lauren took care of Kevin and Zach for the 16 hours it took us to summit and return. I am so grateful that the little guys could be there to share the day with us. They can look back and confirm we did it, even ole’ Grandma DeeĆ„!

Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Thanks, Tina)


14 comments:

Grandma Dee said...

Whoops, I totally forgot to add that MY name was, "Squeakers." When my brother Gary and I would hike in Placerville, he would call me that. It made me feel like he was with me in spirit on the hike.
-Denise (Squeaks)

Garrett said...

Allright Squeakers congrats once again on making it to the top it was 16 hours none of us will ever forget!

Tasha Riley said...

You are a great "hiking buddy". I'm in for many more hikes around our beautiful country!

dole2obama said...

Congrats on a job well done! As Nicole said to me, "what is next?"

Unknown said...

Squeakers, I have loved reading about your experience and can only say how inspired I am. Bien hecho!

Rozzie said...

Oh my Heck!!! Bungee jumping, zip lining, SKYDIVING, 58 miles walking in one week, getting up at 3:00 AM!!! You are amazing...what an awesome feat and memory for you and your great family. You were really the "leader of the pack" and I'm so impressed! It inspires me to try to tackle something new and "out of the box" Hmmm. ...
Lots of Love, Rozzie

Sandy said...

Denise, what an awesome accomplishment! I know this is something you will never forget.
The pictures and wonderful description of this feat tell it all!!!!!
And what a fabulous bonding experience.
Love, Sandy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

A spectacular feat for you all! It sounds like your hard training paid off and your companionship and love took you to literally extraordinary heights.

Love,
(Cousins) Lyn and Ken

Paula said...

Congratulations on this amazing accomplishment, Denise! Age has no barriers! You are an inspiration for so many of us in the over 50 crowd! :) I loved your honest descriptions of your "freaking out", yet you persevered and didn't give up!
LOVE the last quote.
Love, Paula

Sailing Vessel Serenity NOW said...

Sounds like an incredible adventure and a great accomplishment. High fives to all.

Cynthia Held said...

What an awesome achievement and life changing adventure!!! Having known Denise for over 40 years (D, are we REALLY that old??) I am not the least bit surprised by Denise's determination and passion to reach higher and higher to achieve her goals. BRAVO, my dear friend, and big kudos to all of the family. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of many adventures to come.with love,
CYnthia

David White, CPA (inactive), Realtor said...

Whoo-hoo Denise! What a fantastic accomplishment and a great team. You have definitely outclassed us lowlanders. If only we'd given you a official Manhattan Village Homeowner's Association flag to plant atop the summit!
-David

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome blog of your experience with me, Denise!!! WOW!!! What a wonderful family, what a physically and spiritually empowering experince; how blessed you are!!!

Take Care

Kristin Robbins